What is the ideal scope for a 338 Lapua Mag rifle?
When it comes to choosing the ideal scope for a 338 Lapua Mag rifle, there are several factors to consider. The 338 Lapua Mag is a powerful cartridge designed for long-range shooting, and having a scope that can match its capabilities is essential for maximizing accuracy and precision. In this article, we will discuss the ideal scope specifications and features for the 338 Lapua Mag rifle, as well as some of the best scopes available on the market.
One of the primary considerations when selecting a scope for the 338 Lapua Mag is the magnification range. Given the cartridge’s long-range capabilities, a high magnification scope is recommended. Ideally, a scope with a magnification range of at least 5-25x should be considered. This will allow shooters to effectively engage targets at extended distances while maintaining a clear and detailed image.
Another crucial aspect to consider is the objective lens diameter. A larger objective lens diameter allows for the gathering of more light and provides better visibility in low-light conditions. For the 338 Lapua Mag, scopes with objective lenses ranging from 50mm to 56mm are preferred as they allow for a brighter image and improved visibility, especially during dawn and dusk.
Additionally, the reticle type is an important factor to consider. The reticle should be designed for long-range shooting and offer precise aiming points for bullet drop compensation. Mil-dot or MOA reticles are commonly used for this purpose. Some scopes also offer first focal plane (FFP) reticles, which means the reticle’s size remains constant relative to the target regardless of the magnification level. This can be beneficial for accurate holdovers at different distances. On the other hand, second focal plane (SFP) reticles maintain the same size at the highest magnification setting, making them less suitable for precise holdovers.
When it comes to adjusting the scope, turrets play a crucial role. High-quality scopes for the 338 Lapua Mag will typically have exposed turrets that allow for quick and precise adjustments. Additionally, turrets with audible and tactile clicks are preferred as they provide confirmation of adjustments without needing to take your eyes off the target.
Now that we’ve discussed the key considerations for choosing a scope for the 338 Lapua Mag, let’s take a look at some of the top options available on the market:
1. Vortex Optics Viper PST Gen II 5-25×50 FFP Riflescope – This scope offers exceptional clarity, high magnification range, and the FFP reticle allows for accurate holdovers at all magnification levels. It also has a durable construction and features Vortex’s renowned optics and warranty.
2. Steiner T5Xi 5-25x 56 Riflescope – The Steiner T5Xi offers excellent low-light performance with its large objective lens diameter. It has precise adjustments and features an illuminated reticle for better visibility in varying light conditions.
3. NightForce SHV 5-20×56 Riflescope – NightForce is known for its rugged and durable scopes, and the SHV 5-20×56 is no exception. It offers a wide magnification range, exceptional clarity, and precise adjustments. The large objective lens diameter ensures excellent low-light performance.
4. Leupold VX-3i LRP 8.5-20x50mm Riflescope – Leupold scopes are known for their ruggedness and excellent optics, and the VX-3i LRP is a top option for the 338 Lapua Mag. It offers a wide magnification range and features a high-quality reticle for long-range shooting.
5. Nightforce ATACR 7-35×56 Riflescope – The Nightforce ATACR is a high-end scope with exceptional features for long-range shooting. It offers an impressive magnification range, large objective lens diameter, precise adjustments, and a durable construction.
When mounting these scopes on the 338 Lapua Mag rifle, it is essential to use a high-quality mounting system that can withstand the recoil of the powerful cartridge. Look for scope rings and bases made from robust materials such as aluminum or steel, and ensure they are properly torqued to prevent any movement or shift during recoil.
In conclusion, when choosing a scope for the 338 Lapua Mag rifle, it is important to consider factors such as magnification range, objective lens diameter, reticle type, and turret adjustments. The scopes mentioned above are among the best options available on the market, offering high-quality optics, durability, and the necessary features for long-range shooting with the powerful 338 Lapua Mag cartridge. Properly mounting the scope with a sturdy mounting system is also crucial for maintaining accuracy.